It’s International Flirting Week! To (sort of) quote Shakespeare… To pick up or not to pick up…that is the question. Pickup lines might not be guaranteed to get you a date, but they are guaranteed to make you smile! We found twenty-five fun, slightly cheesy, literary-inspired pickup lines to help you break the ice and maybe even melt some hearts.
1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
2. The worst of times became the best of times when you walked in.
3. Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
4. You look like you could brighten up a dark and stormy night.
5. Do you have a card in the Dewey decimal system? Because I gotta write down your number.
6. Call me Ishmael, because I’m huntin’ you.
7. If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. Let’s get out of here.
8. Let me show you the sound and the fury.
9. I know I’m not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but one glance at you and I’m already interested.
10. Is it a bright, cold day in April? Because my clock just struck thirteen.
11. Are you a library book? Because I’m checking you out!
12. Charles Dickens might have given you Great Expectations, but I can meet them.
13. I believe in The Importance of Being Earnest, so I’m just going to say it: I’m Wilde about you.
14. Do you like Harry Potter? Because I a-Dumbledore you!
15. My love for you is Infinite, and I do not Jest.
16. Please tell me you’ll end my 100 Years of Solitude.
17. Let’s skip the foreshadowing and get down to business.
18. Will you be my coauthor in the story of our lives?
19. I’d never be Misérables waking up to your face.
20. This date went really well. So, when’s the sequel?
21. I would follow you into the gates of Mordor itself.
22. I’m not a Beater, a Seeker, or a Chaser. I’m a Keeper.
23. If you were words on a page, you’d be what they call fine print.
24. What are the odds of you being in my favor?
25. You’re like a dictionary—you add meaning to my life.