Self-Publishing Tool Kit: A Free Resource For Writers
Self-publishing, once considered a somewhat alternative form of publishing, has gone mainstream. More novels, memoirs, poetry and short story collections, and nonfiction books are self-published these days than are published by traditional presses. Thanks to the boom in digital and print publishing, anyone can see his or her book in print!
Whether you’re deciding whether or not to self-publish, or navigating the tricky waters of creating your finished book, or if you’ve already self-published but want to see if a traditional publisher is interested in your novel or nonfiction book, our Free Self-Publishing Tool Kit will help.
Over the years, we’ve helped many self-published authors submit their books to literary agents; and we can help you too! We write query letters, proofread and format, and research the best-suited literary agents for targeting. For more information about Writer’s Relief, visit our services overview page.
Getting Started: Is Self-Publishing Right For Your Memoir, Nonfiction Book, Or Novel?
- Is Self-Publishing Right For You? A Quiz. Before you choose your publishing path, it’s important to decide on the right choice for your book. This quick quiz will help you find the answer!
- Self-Publishing Self-Test: How To Determine If You’re A Good Candidate For Self-Publishing Your Book. Pose these questions to yourself so you can get a better understanding of whether you’ve got the right mindset, budget, and expectations for successful self-publishing.
- Putting Off Self-Publishing? 4 Signs You’re Ready, Now. When it becomes clear that self-publishing is their best option, some authors hesitate. Are you procrastinating about making the decision to self-publish your book?
- When Should You Stop Querying Agents And Decide To Self-Publish? Either way, publishing isn’t an easy road. Before you begin any publishing endeavor, you should be sure to do your research and choose the path that’s right for you.
- Know Your Goals Before You Self-Publish. There are many factors that go into successfully self-publishing your book. Plan ahead and know the goals you need to meet before you reach the final step.
- 5 Self-Publishing Secrets Nobody Tells You. The idea of getting your book into the hands of readers is tempting, but you’re worried about what self-publishing might do to your reputation as a writer. Could the so-called dangers of self-publishing be true? No!
- Self-Publishing: Why Your “Last Resort” Could Be The Beginning Of Something Amazing (True Stories!) If you’re feeling discouraged because no traditional venues have shown interest in publishing your book, cheer up! You may consider self-publishing to be your last resort, but why not look at it as a great opportunity?!
- Stop Revising Your Book And Self-Publish! If you worry too much about getting your book exactly right, you might not get anywhere. So how do you know when it’s time to move forward?
- Self-Publishing Self-Test: How To Determine If You’re A Good Candidate For Self-Publishing Your Book. Pose these questions to yourself so you can get a better understanding of whether you’ve got the right mindset, budget, and expectations for successful self-publishing.
- Where Are All The Readers For Your Self-Published Book? Find Out. Wondering where you can make a big splash in a pool of potential fans? Here are some ideas.
- Is Self-Publishing The EASIEST Way To Get Published? Decoding The Hype And The Facts. Some companies promise that self-publishing success is as easy as writing a check. But that may not be true!
- The Seven Best Kinds Of Books For Self-Publishing Authors. Some books excel in the self-publishing industry. We list their genres and angles.
- Self-Publishing: What Type Of Publisher Is Best For You? There are a number of different types of publishers: Which of them is going to be the most effective choice for publishing your book?
- E-Publishing: Is It Right For Your Book? E-publishing is huge! And promises of big sales and easy money are everywhere. But putting your book on the Web won’t guarantee instant success. Know what you’re getting into before you get there… Or don’t get there.
- Writers Beware: Self-Publishing Nightmares To Avoid. Self-publishing no longer suffers from the scary stigma of being called “second rate.” Self-publishing can be a writer’s dream come true! But before you sign on the dotted line with a self-publishing company, make sure you do your research.
- Which Self-Published Genres Sell The Most Books? While some genres seem to enjoy unbridled success when self-published, others fall behind in the race for sales. Take a look at the top-selling genres in self-publishing to find out where your book fits in.
- Vanity Presses and Self-Publishing: What’s The Difference? The core difference between self-publishing and vanity presses is who controls the publishing process.
- What To Expect: Is There More Money In Self-Publishing Or Traditional Publishing? It’s a simple question: Who makes bigger bucks? We give you straight answers.
- 5 Ways Self-Publishing Has Got It Right! While traditional publishing continues to close the door on many hopeful authors by admitting only a select few into their fold, self-publishing has been opening the door for motivated authors ready to take their success into their own hands.
- Self-Publishing Motivation In Motion. If you’re starting to lose your self-publishing spark, here are a few fun boosts of motivational mojo to help you make it to the finish line and reach self-publishing success!
- 5 Self-Published Books That Were Made Into Movies. Nowadays, successful self-published books have the same chance at being made into a movie as traditionally published stories!
- 4 Red Flags Of Questionable Self-Publishing Companies. Before you hand over your hard-earned cash, be sure you know the red flags that signal questionable self-publishing practices.
- Lies Self-Publishing Companies Tell Potential Clients. Before you sign on the dotted line with a self-publishing company, do your research! A lot of self-publishing companies are more interested in making the sale—and not so much in you and your book.
- What To Keep In Mind When Self-Publishing A Collection Of Short Stories. Since traditional publishing houses have been slow to jump on the short story bandwagon, you may want to self-publish short stories to get your work out there now.
- What To Consider Before You Self-Publish A Poetry Collection. Many poets are opting to self-publish their collections in order to take control of the publishing process and get their work out there. If you’re thinking of taking this route, do your research first…
- Why Self-Publishing Works For Niche Genre Writers. With the rise of self-publishing, authors now have more freedom to blend genres and write on obscure topics.
- Artisan Self-Publishing: What It Is, What It Means, And Why It’s Working. One of the most recent terms to pop up in the self-publishing industry is “artisanal author.” But before you think you should start writing your books by hand or get to work pressing pulp to make paper, let’s take a look at what artisanal self-publishing really means for a writer.
- 5 Reasons Self-Publishing Is Right For You. If you’ve exhausted all traditional publishing possibilities or want to jump right in, here are five reasons why self-publishing may be the right choice for you.
- 11 Reasons To Vote For Self-Publishing. With elections in our midst, we would like to nominate a write-in candidate that could change the shape of the future: Self-publishing!
- 4 Self-Published Authors Who Made It Big. Here are four authors who had the motivation and publishing market-savvy to self-publish and make it big in the world of literature!
- 7 Ideas For Books To Self-Publish And Give As Family Gifts. As a writer, you’ve got a unique skill set, so you’re in a great position to give one-of-a-kind gifts. With ingenuity and self-publishing smarts, you can offer your family personalized, self-published gift books that they’ll love for years to come.
- What To Consider Before Helping A Child Or Teen Self-Publish A Book. Hundreds of kids and teens are choosing to self-publish every year! However, fledgling writers need a parent or legal guardian to help them navigate the self-publishing process. Here’s how you can support the publishing efforts of a young writer!
- 4 Self-Publishing Success Stories of 2016 (And What We Can Learn From Them). 2016 was a strong year for self-published books! By thinking outside the box and trying new ways to reach their audiences, these authors boosted their book sales and wrote their own success stories.
- The #1 Self-Publishing Hack: Think Like A CEO. Well-known self-published books didn’t spontaneously rise through the ranks; they were promoted into best-seller-hood by their authors. So what do famous self-published authors know that you don’t? This!
- How Much Does it Really Cost To Self-Publish A Book? So what’s the real cost of self-publishing? The answer to the price tag question is: It depends. But our Self-Publishing Relief team is here to offer some estimates and ballpark price ranges so you can plan and budget accordingly.
- How Much Money Can You Really Make by Self-Publishing? Exactly how much money can you really make in self-publishing? Find out here!
- 10 Reasons Self-Publishing Is The Best Gift You Can Give Your Book. Self-Publishing may seem like a last resort, but it can do wonders for your book’s discoverability! Find out how!
- Should You “Go Wide” With Multiple Retailers? Thinking about self-publishing with multiple retailers? Learn the pros and cons of doing so here!
- Self-Publishing A Novella? Here’s What You Need To Know. What is a novella, and why is it best to self-publish one? Find out here!
- Turn Your Individual Poems Into A Publishable Poetry Collection. Gather your poems into a chapbook or poetry collection and self-publish them! Find out how here!
- 8 Signs Your Self-Publishing Company Will Treat You Right. Self-published writers: Here are the signs that will reveal if your publisher treats writers with genuine respect and great customer service.
- Cover Art Trends In Self-Published Historical Fiction. Here are 5 cover art trends in self-published historical fiction you’ll want for your books!
- 5 Questions To Ask A Self-Publishing Company That Could Save Time, Money, And Heartache. When testing the waters of a potential relationship with a self-publishing company, Self-Publishing Relief recommends asking five important questions. Find out what they are here.
- Before You Self-Publish Your Poetry Collection: Read These FAQs.Many beginning poets choose to self-publish their books. But where to begin? Self-Publishing Relief answers some of the most commonly asked questions about self-publishing a poetry collection.
- 7 Signs Of A Trustworthy Self-Publishing Company: How To Avoid Scams. The experts at Self-Publishing Relief know which signs reveal that a self-publishing company is trustworthy so you can avoid predatory scams. Check them out here!
- 5 Questions To Ask Yourself If You’re Thinking About Self-Publishing.Here are the most important questions you should ask yourself if you’re thinking about self-publishing your book.
- The Only Self-Publishing Checklist You’ll Need To Get Started. The experts at Self-Publishing Relief have put together this handy self-publishing checklist to help you get started on the right foot.
- 8 Myths About Self-Publishing—Debunked. If you’ve been thinking about self-publishing, don’t let these misconceptions stop you from publishing your book! Here, we fact-check and debunk the most common myths about self-publishing.
- The Most Popular Self-Publishing Genres. Find out whether your book falls into one of the top-selling genres in self-publishing!
The Nuts And Bolts Of Creating A PERFECT Self-Published Book
- Self-Publishing: Why You Shouldn’t Go It Alone. Along with full control granted by self-publishing comes full responsibility—and self-publishing your book is a big job.
- Get Your Book Into Top Shape Before Self-Publishing. Hooray! You’ve typed “The End” and your manuscript is finished. But before you start comparing self-publishing packages, take another critical look at your manuscript with an honest eye.
- Guide To The Stages Of Production For A Self-Published Book. Self-publishing has revolutionized the publishing industry. That means authors have to make hundreds of decisions about cover design, digital or print, keywords, categories, vendors, as well as manuscript formatting.
- How To Design A Book Cover To Boost Sales.The power that book covers have over consumers cannot be ignored, which is why one must put the utmost care into creating or selecting a cover for his or her own book.
- Cover Art Slip-Ups That Can Hurt Your Book Sales. Your book’s cover is the very first thing potential readers see––it’s your brand and your hook!—so don’t let your book sales fall flat because you’ve used an amateur designer.
- How To Caputre Your Character’s Essence With Cover Art. Is it possible for your potential audience to get to know your characters before they’ve even opened the book? Yes—through your cover art!
- The 411 On ISBNs—What You Need To Know. While the debate continues about the need for an ISBN when self-publishing a book, it’s important that authors who are considering selling their self-published books know the basics.
- 10 Things You MUST Do Before You Self-Publish. Before you have your finished book (or e-book) in hand, there’s important prep work to be done that will determine whether your self-publishing efforts are a success—or a flop.
- The 3 Cornerstones To Self-Publishing Success. For self-publishing success, you need the solid support of three important components: a book people want to read; professional production quality; and smart promotion.
- Will Your Self-Published Print Book Make A Good First Impression? Your most influential, important marketing tool is…your book itself. So when preparing a print copy of your self-published book, keep in mind that book readers are looking for specific feedback when forming a first impression.
- The Ins And Outs Of Copyright For Self-Published Authors. While we’re not lawyers, we can offer a brief overview about copyright to help you make the right choice before your book hits the market.
- Proofreading Services. Before you send your book to a self-publishing company, be sure you’ve addressed any embarrassing mistakes!
- Write Back-Cover Copy That’s Tailored To Sell Your Self-Published Book. Good back cover copy gives readers a taste of what your book is about in an intriguing way. And it’s vital that you draw readers in—their reactions to your back cover blurb will determine whether or not they buy your book.
- 8 People Who Can Make Or Break Your Self-Published Book. As you persevere on your path to publishing greatness, there are several important relationships you’ll need to nurture and develop.
- Don’t Let Bad Grammar Hurt A Good Self-Published Book. The more people who see your work, the more wrongs will be righted!
- The Best Word Count For Your Self-Published Novel. For traditional publishing or self-publishing, you’ll have the best odds of success if your book hits the word-count sweet spot for its genre.
- Before You Self-Publish: Properly Format Your Book! Proper formatting—especially for a book you plan to self-publish—is vital.
- Self-Publishing Lingo Authors Need To Know. If you’re new to the self-publishing process, some of the terminology may seem like a foreign language. Don’t worry; the experts at Self-Publishing Relief are ready to translate!
- 9 Important Legal Tips For Self-Publishing Memoir And Nonfiction. There’s a strong market for “quiet” true stories of public interest in the self-publishing industry. But how do you avoid a lawsuit—or even just old-fashioned shunning—if you’re planning to self-publish your true story? Here are some tips!
- Do Self-Published Authors Need Websites? Having an author website is essential to any writing career—especially if you are a self-published author!
- Networking No-Nos For Self-Published Writers. It can be tricky to achieve the perfect self-promotion balance required for effective networking—you don’t want your enthusiasm to overpower your good manners!
- How Should I Price My E-Book? We’ve done the research and created a list of five essential elements you must consider before setting your book’s price on Amazon.
- Should You Offer A Print Version Of Your Self-Published Book? Choosing to self-publish your novel means you’ll have total control over the end result, so you’ll have a lot of important decisions to make, including whether to sell print copies, e-books, or both!
- What’s The Right Price For Your Self-Published Print Book? Ready to put a price on all the blood, sweat, and tears that went into writing and self-publishing your book? Consider these crucial elements before setting your book’s price
- 4 Writer Associations For Indie Authors. Thankfully, there are writers groups for independent authors that can offer you support and advice as you make your way through the twists and turns of self-publishing your book.
- 5 Steps For Resolving Disputes With Your Self-Publishing Company. Is a self-publishing company not following through on their promises for your book? Check out these tips on how to properly address and fix your grievances with these companies.
- 10 Tips For Self-Publishing A Book Of Remembrance. Looking for a positive and life-affirming project? Learn how to self-publish a Book of Remembrance with these tips.
- 5 Ways To Stay Positive When Self-Publishing Your Book. When the self-publishing process becomes too overwhelming, here are five ways to stay positive!
- New And Classic Cover Art Design Trends For Memoir Writers. Learn about the memoir and autobiography cover art design trends that are attracting readers on various best-seller lists!
- Authors: How To Find A Self-Publishing Mentor. Self-publishing can be daunting, and so can finding a mentor who can help you with the process. Find out which traits you should look for in a self-publishing mentor.
- Finding The Right Stock Artwork For Your Self-Published Book Cover Design. Buying stock art for the cover of your self-published book? Here’s what you need to know.
- 7 Things You DON’T Need From Your Self-Publishing Company. As a self-published author, you want and need a company that will treat you as a partner on your self-publishing journey…not like just another sales commission check. Here’s what else you should watch out for.
- Cover Art Trends For Self-Published Romance Novels. If you’re ready to self-publish your romance novel and are looking for some cover art inspiration, here are a few trends to consider.
- Cover Art Design Trends For Mystery/Thriller Novels. Looking for your next mystery/thriller to have a trendy cover? Check out these examples!
- 4 Tiny Self-Publishing Details That Writers Overlook (But Shouldn’t!). The self-publishing process has many steps and substeps. Don’t let any of them slip through the cracks!
- Cover Art Design Trends For Self-Published Poetry Collections. Find out the latest trends in poetry book covers for your next self-published poetry collection!
- Republishing Yourself: 5 Tips To Create A Collection Of Previously Published Works. Once your work is published and the rights revert back to you, find out how to compile your work into one volume and self-publish it!
- 5 Design Mistakes That Can Make Indie Book Covers Look Wonky. People do judge a book by its cover. Avoid these cover design mistakes that could turn people away from your book!
- Loud And Clear! 5 Questions To Ask Your Self-Publishing Company. Make sure your self-publishing company is trustworthy and helpful by asking them these five questions!
- 12 Heart-Stopping Techniques To Write A More Emotional Book Summary Of Your Self-Published Novel. 12 techniques to help self-published authors write a more emotional book summary for the back jacket sales copy of their novel in order to sell more books.
- 5 Reasons Readers Pay More For Some Books (And How It Affects Your Self-Published Book Pricing). Why are readers willing to pay more for some books than others? Check out the secrets to effectively pricing and marketing your book so that it doesn’t languish forgotten in the bargain bin.
- 7 Signs Of A Trustworthy Self-Publishing Company: How To Avoid Scams. The experts at Self-Publishing Relief know which signs reveal that a self-publishing company is trustworthy so you can avoid predatory scams.
- 8 Ideas for Self-Published Authors Who Are Environmentally Conscious. Check out these great ways to be environmentally conscious and eco-friendly with your self-published book.
- How To Choose A Great Pen Name For Self-Publishing Your Writing.How do you choose the perfect alias for your persona as a self-published author? At Self-Publishing Relief, our experts have some ideas that can help you choose a great pen name when self-publishing!
- 10 Pesky Self-Publishing Chores You Can Safely Outsource To Other People. Sometimes, the best way to prevent self-publishing burnout is to delegate the work. Here are some pesky self-publishing chores you can outsource to experts!
- Why You Need An Editor Or Proofreader—BEFORE You Self-Publish. The grammar gurus at Self-Publishing Relief have a few words of advice: Hire an editor or proofreader to take one last look. Why? Read this article and find out.
- What To Do If You Find An Error In Your Self-Published Book. Mistakes have a way of sneaking into even the most thoroughly checked manuscripts. Fortunately, it is relatively easy to fix most mistakes in a self-published book. Here is what you can do!
- Should You Self-Publish With A Co-Author? Successfully self-publishing a book with a co-author also requires business savvy and a healthy measure of trust. Here’s how to determine if you should self-publish a book with a co-author.
- Say “No!” To These Self-Publishing Hard Sells. What are “hard sells” and how can you avoid them? Here are some tips for making the right choice for your book!
- ISBNs: What Self-Publishing Authors Need To Know. The experts at Self-Publishing Relief have all the answers self-publishing authors need to know to make the right choice about an ISBN!
- 8 Self-Publishing Mistakes You Should Avoid. Self-publishing has many important steps and can be complicated, so it’s important to get it right. Here are all the mistakes you should avoid and the best ways to create a book you can be proud to put your name on.
- KDP vs. IngramSpark: Which Self-Publishing Platform Is Right For You? When it comes to KDP vs. IngramSpark, here’s how to decide which self-publishing platform is right for you.
- How To Ace Self-Publishing Your First Book. There’s certainly a lot to deal with when self-publishing, but don’t panic! Here are some great tips to help you ace self-publishing your first book.
- The Best Online Editing And Grammar Tools For Self-Publishing Writers. Check out these online editing tools that allow you to present a polished, professional early draft.
- The Latest Book Cover Trends For Mysteries/Thrillers. The cover design experts at Self-Publishing Relief have laid out all the elements that will make your book cover irresistible. Check out the latest book cover trends for mysteries/thrillers!
- Front Matter Vs. Back Matter—What Goes Where In Your Book? You’ve finished your book! But what about the dedication? Or list of acknowledgements? Or copyright page? The experts at Self-Publishing Relief can help you with what goes where in your book.
Congratulations—You’ve Self-Published! How To Market Your Newly Minted Book
- So Your Self-Published Book Is Out. Great! What’s Next? If you didn’t do any pre-launch marketing before you self-published, take heart. It’s never too late to start promoting your book! Here’s what to do now.
- Publishing Is Half The Job: Promote Your Book! The part of self-publishing vital to the success of your book is self-promotion. Because publishing companies are devoting less of their time, energy, and money to promoting a book, most marketing work falls to the author.
- 5 Golden Rules Of Marketing Your Self-Published Book. The effectiveness of your marketing strategy will ultimately make or break your book sales. The best way to plan your promotional efforts is to start with the basics.
- Create A Press Release That Media Outlets Will Actually Publish. To truly make your press release stand out, you have to be sure that your submission to the news desk hits all the right notes.
- How To Get Book Bloggers To Review Your Self-Published Book. Getting reviews for your self-published book from bloggers or social media celebrities is going to take substantial effort. You need a plan—and we have the step-by-step instructions that will get you the book reviews you want.
- 7 Ways To Establish A Reputation For Quality Self-Publishing. It’s an unfortunate fact: Self-published writers who truly labor over their craft to create a quality piece bear the burden of distinguishing themselves from writers who don’t especially care about technique.
- Effective Networking For Self-Published Authors. By making the right connections, you’ll meet writers who can offer you the benefits of their self-publishing experiences—and promote your book!
- 12 Marketing Strategies For Self-Published Authors. Now that you’ve self-published your book, all you have to do is sit back and watch the sales roll in—right? Wrong!
- Why All Authors Must Market Their Own Books. Today’s authors, whether self-published or published through a traditional house, must do the bulk of their own marketing and promotion if they want their book to sell.
- Social Media And Promoting Your Self-Published Book. A successful promotion strategy will extend beyond networking, conferences, and Amazon—you’ll need to set up an author website, a blog, and most important, social media profiles.
- Get Your Book Cover Art On Pinterest, Instagram, And Tumblr. Your book cover art is your most powerful point-of-purchase marketing tool at bookstores and in online retailers—but that’s not the end of your book cover’s sales potential!
- 6 Ways To Get Your Self-Published Book Stocked In Brick-And-Mortar Bookstores. With self-published books, booksellers must assume the risk of buying stock that they will be stuck with if they can’t sell it. How can you get them to take a risk on your self-published book?
- The Importance of Book Trailers for Self-Published Authors. To stand out from the crowd, media-savvy authors are using book trailers to entice book buyers and build sales.
- Interview With A Hybrid Author: Jayme Beddingfield. We asked a successful hybrid author about her self-publishing experiences and their secrets to successfully boosting book sales.
- A Perk For Self-Published Authors: The Author Page On Amazon! An Amazon Author Page is a valuable (and free!) way to connect with and market to your readers and potential buyers in much the same way you can connect with your audience via your website, blog, Facebook author page, and Twitter feed.
- How To Optimize Your Amazon Page To Increase Self-Published Book Sales. Make sure your Amazon book page is optimized to increase traffic and engage potential book buyers!
- 6 Affordable, Unbeatable Promotional Items To Market Your Book. We’ve found some really effective, inexpensive promo items you can use to entice readers to buy your book—without breaking the bank.
- Self-Published Writers: How Entering Contests Can Help Sell Your Book. An often-overlooked way to help build sales and publicity is to enter contests.
- Help! My Self-Published Book Isn’t Selling! To improve your sales numbers, ask yourself the following questions when determining the best ways to promote your book!
- 10 Deadly Sins Of Marketing For Self-Published Writers. An aggressive marketing campaign can rocket your self-published book into best-sellerdom. But if your marketing campaign is too aggressive, your sales will crash instead.
- Market Your Self-Published Book Using A Promotional Gift Basket. Publishing houses create promotional packages for their most exciting books of the season. You should do the same for the self-published book you’re so excited to share!
- How Other Self-Published Authors Can Help Sell Your Book. A smart way to maximize your marketing and promotional efforts is to team up with other self-published authors to create a power promo team!
- Book Reviews vs. Book Sales: The Self-Published Author’s Catch-22. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways you can get your book reviewed even before you make a single sale.
- How To Be A Better Panelist When Promoting Your Book. Schools, libraries, writing groups, booksellers, and writing conferences often invite authors to speak at a single seminar as part of a panel. Participating in a panel is a smart way to promote your self-published book.
- Book A Book Signing To Get More Speaking Gigs And Promote Your Self-Published Book. The best way to hand-sell books is to coordinate book signings with other events: seminars, readings, lectures.
- How To Create Book Promotion Events That Are Standing-Room-Only Successes. What if you throw a book signing or launch party—and no one comes? Here are smart tips for planning book events that will be popular crowd pleasers!
- Get Expensive Marketing Firm Results On A Shoestring Budget. Book marketing firms with hefty fees can swiftly run through an author’s promotional budget. If you can’t afford a bells-and-whistles marketing plan, what can you do to promote your book without looking like an amateur?
- The Fine Art Of Hand-Selling Your Self-Published Book. There’s nothing more powerful than a face-to-face connection to keep you and your work foremost in a new reader’s mind!
- 12 Easy Ways To Boost Attendance At Your Book Signing, Reading, Or Author Seminar. Here are great marketing strategies to help you publicize your book signing and increase the number of attendees!
- How To Handle Criticism Of Your Self-Published Book. Remember: You can’t please everyone…and you shouldn’t try to.
- How To Stand Out At A Crowded Book Promo Event. Writing conferences, bookstores, and libraries often feature “meet the author” book signing events—with multiple authors. So how do you stand out in a crowded room full of authors who are all there to sell books?
- Increase Sales Of Your Self-Published Book—While On Vacation! Luckily, maintaining your promotional momentum while you’re on vacation is now easier than ever—take your marketing campaign on the road!
- Bragging Tips For Self-Published Authors. Once your book is available for sale, can anyone blame you if you feel like bragging? The trick is to not be like that overly proud parent everyone tries to avoid.
- How Self-Published Writers Can Balance Business And Creativity. Self-published authors technically have three jobs: writer, publisher of their book, and day job. Learn how you can reconcile the three!
- 21 Summertime Book Promotion Ideas For Self-Published Writers. Summer is a great time to promote your self-published! Here are 21 ideas to promote your book during this (or any) summer!
- How To Identify And Connect With Your Niche Market. Identify and approach the people most likely to buy your book with these steps!
- How To Cope With Negative Reviews Of Your Self-Published Book. Self-Publishing Relief’s advice on how to put a positive spin on negative reviews.
- Cover Your Assets: FAQs For Self-Publishing Spoofs, Parodies, And Satires. Self-Publishing Relief suggests you consider these FAQs that could help you stay out of trouble when writing a spoof, parody, or satire.
- Think Big: How To Use Pay-To-Play Mass Mailings To Promote Your Self-Published Book. Thinking you might want to take advantage of the powerful sales-driving, reputation-building engines that mass mailing lists promise to be? Self-Publishing Relief reviews what you need to know.
- Authors: Make The Most Of Your Book Review Quotes And Endorsements. Learn how to maximize your book review quotes to drive sales!
- 10 Steps To Promote Your Self-Published Book Price Drop. Learn how to promote a short-term price drop to market your self-published book!
- How To Ask (Bribe) Friends And Family To Promote Your Self-Published Book. What can friends, family, and coworkers do to help market your self-published book? Find out here!
- The Best Locations To Promote Your Book—Plus Tips To Make It Happen. Looking for the right location to promote your book? Here are some tips and ideas for your next book promotion!
- What To Do If Your Self-Published Novel Is Pirated Online. eBook piracy is rampant, so how can you prevent your self-published novel from being pirated online? Check out these tips!
- How Excerpts In Literary Journals Can Boost Your Self-Published Book Sales. How can publishing excerpts from your self-published book improve your sales? Find out here!
- 7 People Who Should Get Free Copies Of Your Latest Book. Here are the opinion-makers who should always get a free copy of your self-published book.
- 10 Great Ideas For Marketing Your Self-Published Poetry Collection. If you’re ready to market and promote your self-published poetry collection, here are the expert tips you need to know to boost your book sales.
- Tips For Creating And Marketing A Boxed Set Of Your Indie Books. How can publishing a boxed set of your self-published books drive your sales? Find out here!
- 6 Book Marketing And Promotion Strategies Writers Might Want To Skip. Are you promoting your self-published book on a budget? Think twice before investing in these traditional book marketing strategies.
- 50 Great New Blog Post Ideas for Self-Published Authors (Plus Book Marketing Tips!) Are you a self-published author with a blog? Check out these ideas for blog posts and marketing tips for your self-published book!
- 9 Pen Name FAQs For Self-Published Authors. Should you use a pen name or not? Here are our most frequently asked questions about using pen names for self-published projects.
- 7 Smart Ways To Sell More Books At A Writing Conference. Heading to a writing conference? Make the most of your investment by putting yourself in a great position to sell lots of your self-published books!
- Summer Sales Slump? Here Are Ways To Boost Summertime Self-Published Book Sales. Don’t let the summer sales slumps get to you! Boost your summertime sales with these tips!
- 8 Tips To Overcome Book Promotion Burnout. Self-published authors can quickly suffer from burnout when marketing and promoting their self-published books. Here are tips to conquer fatigue!
- The final pages of your self-published book (aka back matter) have marketing potential! Use these pages to boost your book sales! Maximize The Marketing Potential Of Your Self-Published Book’s Final Pages.
- The Definitive Guide To Marketing Your Book To Book Clubs. Self-published authors: Here’s a guide to marketing your book to book clubs. Find a list of book clubs for marketing your self-published book.
- How To Develop An Amazing Speaking Event To Promote Your Self-Published Book. How to create an amazing speaking event that will successfully promote your self-published book.
- Use These Acting Tips To Sell More Self-Published Books. How to sell more books using these 5 clever acting tips to help you sell more self-published books.
- How To Get Over Your Fear Of Being Annoying While Selling Your Book. Check out this list of tips and tricks to help you reframe the way you view literary marketing and overcome your fear of being a social boor.
- 7 Strategies To Promote Your Self-Published Memoir. Now that you’ve completed that richly rewarding journey and self-published your book, it’s time to think about ways to share your memoir with readers.
- Is Your Author Brand As Clear To Readers As You Think It Is? How can you be sure your brand is sending the right message? Self-Publishing Relief has developed a few guidelines to help you evaluate your author brand to ensure it’s clear to readers exactly who you are and what you write.
- 4 Digital Promo Giveaways Book Readers Love To Get From Authors. Readers love getting freebies from their favorite authors, and digital promo giveaways are an inexpensive way to make your fans feel special! If you need some ideas, check these out!
- 9 Effective Ways To Market Your Self-Published Book And Boost Sales. Aside from word-of-mouth, there are other ways to generate book sales! Check them out here!
- Business Plan Guide And Planning Tools For Self-Published Authors. Let’s be honest: Writers may have brilliant, creative minds, but we’re often less gifted with business and marketing know-how. A business plan is a great tool that will guide you, keep you on track, and help you stay focused on your end goals.
- How To Share Excerpts And Teasers From Your Self-Published Book To Boost Sales. One really easy way of promoting your self-published book is sharing excerpts and teasers from your book! Check out these tips on how and where to share them.
- Writer Freebie: Sample Author Interview Questions For Your Book Marketing Materials. When promoting your book, you are going to be asked questions. We have compiled a list of sample author interview questions for you to practice with!
- 25 New Book Marketing Strategies For When You’ve Run Out Of Ideas. We have a list of book marketing strategies you can easily implement—especially when you’ve run out of ideas!
- 25 New Book Marketing Strategies For When You’ve Run Out Of Ideas. The marketing experts at Self-Publishing Relief have a list of book marketing strategies you can easily implement—especially when you’ve run out of ideas!
- How To Connect With Readers Who Love Books (And Hopefully Will Buy Yours). Here are smart, budget-friendly ways to connect with the right readers who will read your book.
- Use Paid Social Media Ads To Promote Your Self-Published Book. With paid social media, you’ll be able to boost your marketing strategy and reach more potential buyers for your self-published book—without breaking the bank.
- 4 Easy, Effective Public Speaking Tips For Self-Published Authors. Check out these easy, effective public speaking tips that will help you feel more confident and relaxed while talking about your book to groups.
- Outside-The-Box Book Marketing Strategies. Check out these effective, outside-the-box book marketing strategies you can use that are easy to put into action.
- The Difference Between Book Wholesalers And Distributors. It’s possible to get a wide distribution for your self-published book, especially if you know the difference between book wholesalers and distributors.
- Support A Worthy Cause With Your Self-Published Book Sales. “Cause marketing” is an effective way to promote your book. But it’s important to do it right in order to avoid legal issues and protect your reputation.
- Book Promotion Pitfalls Writers Should Avoid. Don’t fall into these promotional pitfalls! Find out which book marketing ideas will succeed or fall flat.
How To Write A Query Letter And Find A Literary Agent For Your Self-Published Book
- After Self-Publishing: How To Find An Agent And A Publisher For Your Self-Published Book. Many writers decide to get an agent AFTER they’ve self-published. But there’s a right way and a wrong way to go about the process. Be sure you have a clear idea of how to impress agents with your self-published book!
- Do Self-Published Book Authors Need A Literary Agent? Find out more about what roles literary agents may play in self-publishing.
- How To Write A Query Letter For A Self-Published Book. Unlike most unpublished manuscripts, self-published books have backstories. Some are wonderful and exciting, some are lackluster and dull. Here’s how to pen your query letter so your self-published book shines.
- Self-Publishing: When (Not) To Include Your Self-Published Book In Your Cover Or Query Letter Bio. Sometimes, it’s not the best idea to mention your self-published book publication credits in your query. Sometimes, it’s a great idea. Here’s how to decide.
- When Your Literary Agent Is Also Your Publisher. Some literary agencies are starting to offer their clients self-publishing services for manuscripts that did not sell or books that went out of print. But is this practice a conflict of interest or a natural progression of an agent’s role?
- What Is Considered Previously Published Writing? Find out how self-published books fit into the “previously published” gray area that can be so very problematic to writers seeking additional means of publication.
- 6 Signs That It’s Time To Get A Literary Agent. Indie writers enjoy being in control of their own destiny. But could a literary agent benefit your career plans?
- A Literary Agent Offers To Rep Your Self-Published Book. Now What? A literary agent has offered to represent your self-published book! But are they the real deal? Find out with these tips!
Learn More About Query Letter Writing
There’s a lot of overlap between how you write a query for an unpublished manuscript and how you write a query for a self-published book or novel. To learn more, visit our Tool Kit For Query Letter Writing.
Who Does Writer’s Relief Recommend For Self-Publishing?
Many writers have asked us which self-publishing company we endorse, partly because there are so many self-publishing companies out there that are unethical, unresponsive, and shady. Some self-publishing companies will promise you the moon—and they’ll give it to you all right: as a cardboard cutout. We had so many writers come to us with complaints about bad self-publishers that it breaks our hearts.
Although every writer will have to do research to discover which self-publishing company is best for their work, budget, and expectations, we at Writer’s Relief can confidently recommend our sister company, Self-Publishing Relief.
At Self-Publishing Relief, we have over twenty years of experience working with authors. We respect writers, so we don’t make empty, pie-in-the-sky promises. Here’s what we do promise: We have the expertise to support and guide you through every step of self-publishing an e-book and print book. We will free you from having to do hours of tedious research and technical formatting. And you will have a finished book you can be proud to put your name on.
Sign up for the Self-Publishing Relief newsletter and receive a free copy of Uncovered: The 3 Best Book Cover Secrets! What you need to know before self-publishing.
Uncovered: The 3 Best Book Cover Secrets includes:
- Design tips to boost your book’s marketability
- Insider secrets for writing the best back cover book blurb
- The importance of a flattering headshot
More Self-Publishing Articles
Publicity for Self-Published Authors
This page has been a labor of love to help authors who hope to self-publish. We hope you’ve found it helpful in your quest to self-publish your novel, poetry or story collection, or nonfiction book!
If you liked this page, please do let us know. And let your friends know too. We enjoy knowing that our efforts support the literary community—and it’s encouraging to know that what we’ve done is helpful.
Please take a moment to like, share, email, tweet, or stumble this page!
And if you’d like to repost any of our articles, you can! Just email email@example.com for details. We wish you all the best in self-publishing your book!