We thought it might be fun to make a list of the things we like about Thanksgiving. Of course, it goes without saying that we are grateful to be able to spend time with friends, family, and loved ones. And we’re glad when we can all come together in good spirits and good health.
Here is a list of things we’re grateful for (along with family and friends):
Wine and crackling fires.
Thanksgiving parades, cranberry sauce in all its permutations.
Anything pumpkin-flavored (two people said this!).
A long, relaxing ride into the countryside.
The smell of biscuits in the oven as we’re watching the parade in the morning.
Gambling! We play a dice game called “Left Right Center,” and I’ve won good money a few times!
An excuse for a shopping spree and buying more things for yourself than as gifts, ha!
The boisterous sounds of laughter and snoring coming from the family room while watching Home Alone.
- Sonic The Hedgehog being back in the Macy’s parade.
- A holiday that, no matter your individual background or belief system, you can take part.
- The ritual of preparing pretty much the same meal every year—and actually setting the table!
- A culinary championship game for foodies. The beginning of Eggnog Season.
- One of the biggest party nights of the year: Thanksgiving Eve.
- Making a sandwich out of leftovers. Watching the dog show after the parade.
- Feeding the birds on Thanksgiving morning.
- Cream of spinach. Broccoli salad. Anything vegetable!
- Thanksgiving means winter is close, which means winter sports, holidays, my birthday, and the first snow of the year!
- Waiting for the first snow of the season. I eat a little handful every year. It’s my own childhood-invented tradition.